let them eat sausage

Dinner: sausage casserole.
As you do, when it is cold and wet and yucky outside and the children are known as keen sausage eaters.
Oven to 180 celsius.
Grease a large casserole with butter.
8 sausages, pricked, in the bottom.
Peel and chop 2 kumara and add.
wash and slice 1 leek, add.
add some wakame (dried japanese sea vegetable which is very healthy last time I counted)
wash and chop 4 stalks of kale and add. (leave the snails in the rinsing water)
tip a tin of crushed pineapple on top, as well as some balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and tomato sauce.

Stir it and put in oven, lid on, for about an hour. It's ready when the sausages are cooked through.

the price/fallon lens: I don't know that they like sausages but I also don't know when they last fed young children on a budget. Frankly, sausages rock this world. 'Tis meat though and they seem to like that. Vegetables all good, especially the kale and wakame. Not sure about the pineapple, but it was in its own juice and maybe it had some bromelain in it, a truly excellent digestive enzyme. No highly processed grain products, but I did crave and eat a piece of toast after tea.

the kid test: yes they ate it. without complaining. I wasn't sure about the flavours together but Favourite Handyman reckoned it was good and then I decided that actually I was being a clever fusion cook (as distinguishable ever so slightly from grumpy mother pulling whatever dodgy things can be found in the cupboard together into one unfortunate and yet forgiving dish).

Now I have to write something for writers' group tomorrow night and also work out how we can all be in the right place for bed time, martial arts and writers group with one car and a lot of rain. I'm thinking of writing about political disengagement in my little world. Maybe I will cross-post later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc