kale penne

Dinner: kale penne
Finely dice one carrot and saute for about a minute in lots of butter. Then add a packet (250g) of bacon, chopped, and three leaves' worth of kale, washed and finely sliced and 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped. Stir a bit, add a splash of red wine, turn down low and put the lid on. Cook the penne pasta as per the inctructions on the packet. While that is cooking, add some cream cheese to the vege mix (I used about 180g). Stir it round to soften and mix in, then get out your whizzy stick and blend it all together. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce and mix up. Serve.

It tasted good. Slightly odd texture (think finely chopped crunchy) but good.

In other news, I have been cleaning. Lots. Yesterday and today. It is looking and feeling a lot more civilised.

I've been wondering what to do next for winter warmth: more wood or pay to get the rest of the insulation done? Today, confident that given the government's fiscal austerity, the insulation subsidy would not be available in future years, I paid for the rest of our ceiling (mostly done) to be finished and for underfloor insulation for the entire house. Scary handing over what is a big sum for us and hoping nothing else in the house breaks down in the next six weeks, but I think it is the best decision. It may mean that we have to buy coal when the wood runs out mid-season, but we will have a warmer house not just this winter but for many to come.

I started some microgreens earlier this week, using some linseed I found when I was clearing out the chaotic spice cupboard. Some have germinated already. My Kings Seeds order arrived today and so tomorrow I can start some basil microgreens, and sprout some red clover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc