Kale

Kale grows throughout winter. Kale survives storms. It survives thunder and lightning and hail and more rain than anyone who doesn't live near a rainforest can ever hope to experience.

Which is why we are still eating it.

Tonight: kale and garlic chopped and sauteed in a small amount of olive oil. Then I poured in quite a lot of frozen peas and a little water and put the lid on for the cooking to continue. Meanwhile I was cooking some fettucine because that is the only pasta I could find in the drawer. I added about a third of a container (the 250g kind) of cream cheese to the green veg mix because that's all we had left and blitzed it with my whizzy stick. Then I added the pasta into the sauce and stirred it all up and put finely grated cheddar cheese on top of each bowl of pasta. We ate it all and didn't have enough seconds to go round, so I'm treating that as a success. The addition of peas does definitely take it into the realm of babyfood consistency. Why not? I tried to cook the same for everyone when I had babies. Tins and jars and separate meals - bah! Yoof of today and their weird (y'know, not like mine...) parenting.

I'm still handsewing flowers on Brighid's new red dress and I actually like this handsewing thing. Just as easy to do as knitting in front of the computer but I think gentler on my hands. If I knit for lengths of time then arthritis makes an unwelcome appearance. This piece of sewing and the commentary was what made me notice how pleasant sitting sewing was. It reminded me that one day I will start something beautiful to go on top of our bed.

Isa Ritchie has flagged up her latest exciting project, this time on free food. I'm looking forward to reading and thinking more about her work. Reading Isa's outline, my own mind immediately wandered to thinking of historical practises of sharing food outside the formal capitalist system. I remember reading of the families of conscientious objectors in New Zealand, people who were supposed to be shunned. In public they were, but also I read of such families rising in the morning to find anonymous gifts of food on their doorstep. I also wonder about the different forms free food movements and less clearly organised free food practises take between urban and rural settings.

Three nights without booze. I've organised a women's night out tomorrow. I best get straight into the cake if I'm not going to drink. On the subject of more books and less booze, I'd best go read. I think it is the Peter Mayle Provence books awaiting me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Peter Mayle, love him. And his subject matter of course. So easy to read, but not fluff.
~Rachael
miriam said…
Thanks for the info on Kale, I knew you of all people would know about it. Now I'm seeing that pattern of growth in other places (fennel and NZspinach) new growth coming from the joints.We'll be trying that pasta. Jamie Oliver has a lasagne with mushy peas, broad beans and asparagus and cheesy bits. I put NZ spinach in instead of the asparagus and the kids said, 'you didn't use that nice stuff (kale)'. I liked it.

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc