The season changes again

This weekend I made some trousers, from the Simplicity 1887 pattern.  The sewing part turned out fine - I do feel I am making progress towards sewing competency.  But the fit is terrible.  The trousers bag out enormously in the thighs and then taper in again and I look like an ice cream cone silhouette.  I've just lined up my pyjama pants on top of them and my elastic waist pjs are considerably more flattering.  I have a whole shelf of non-stretchy fabric awaiting transformation (almost all of it thrifted or gifted to me), but more and more it seems that all the clothes that I like on me are made from stretchy fabric.

The sun came out!  I transplanted the asparagus and the cosmos and the sweet pea which so desperately needed it that I would lose them if I waited until next weekend.  But the rest of my many garden projects will have to wait a little longer.

The car project is nearly at completion stage.  Some time later this week, we will have the ability to travel long distance again, without substantial risk of the car blowing up entirely.

I've gone back to knitting, after my sewing interlude.  Now I'm onto the sleeves on the Miette.  The circular needles are too small to knit the sleeves on in my opinion, and the shop is not open to go back and purchase a shorter circular needle.  So I'm knitting on double pointed needles for the first time ever.  Hmmm.  Much slower so far, and I find it a bit disconcerting that needles poke towards me like war heads no matter which position in the row I'm knitting.  I can already see that alterations will be needed to get the fit I want for a Miette.  This one, and there is no way I am undoing it, will be like many on the ravelry site - done up at the top only.  But I would like to knit a blue all wool Miette for winter which is altered so that it will do up all the way down in a mildly elegant fashion (not stretching and pulling and groaning all the way).  As for working out those alterations, I am making progress in my head and I do need to say to anyone who thinks maths is irrelevant, that knitters who are non-standard sizes seriously NEED maths skills!

Back to work tomorrow.  I've enjoyed the break, the time with the children and Favourite Handyman and the opportunity to indulge my latest obsession of genealogy.  I now have some details and stories of all of my Cornish great grandfather's brothers and many other interesting details and continuously evolving questions to boot.  It's remarkable to me how almost everyone left the West of Cornwall after the tin mine industry collapsed in the 1870s.  My Cornish great grandparents had nine adult siblings between them, and only two stayed in Cornwall.  Neither of those two had children, and I wonder if, had they had progeny, they might have left also.  Most went to Australia or New Zealand, sometimes with time in other parts of England or in Wales first, and the widow and daughter of one great great uncle went to Pennsylvania.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc